Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Parmesan & Basil Zucchini

Served with Mushroom & Onion Smothered Chicken
People always tell us that they don't have time, money, patience or know-how to cook a good, healthy dinner at night.  We call bullshit on that!  We're broke people who stick to a weekly budget and we cook simple, healthy meals several times a week after both of us working a full day (usually with enough leftover to eat a healthy lunch the next day, saving even more money).  A lot of the recipes we post on here are our "splurges" away from our regular, simple roasted protein/veggie dinners.  I was about to make one of those simple dinners tonight, but then I thought I'd "get crazy" by doing a sauce and cheesing up the veggies.  I wasn't really considering posting the recipes, they seemed too simple.  Justin asked, "Why not?  People like fast, easy and cheap recipes and it was really good!"  So it's coming at you... basic stuff!

This tune's been going through my head the last few weeks as I've seen a lot of The Transplants' recent tour pics.  Elvis Cortez, lead singer of Left Alone, was touring with them.  So I've found myself listening to some Left Alone in the last few days, and this is them doing "My Whole Life".  -jen


PARMESAN & BASIL ZUCCHINI
Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty:  Easy
Serves: 2-4
  • 4 medium zucchini, sliced about 1/4" thick rounds
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
  • 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 
  • salt and pepper
 In a large bowl or plastic zip bag, combine zucchini and olive oil to coat.  Turn oven to broil.  Arrange zucchini in an even layer on a large baking sheet (I always line it with foil for ease of clean up!)  Sprinkle basil and Parmesan evenly over zucchini.  Broil for 3-5, until cheese browns.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment