Sunday, May 29, 2011

Elvis Bread (Peanut Butter Banana Bread)

Well, we had some bananas sitting around getting old.  We had some organic peanut butter in the fridge, and we really don't eat peanut butter in our house.  So I decided I was going to make something with them.  I really don't enjoy baking much at all.  Sure, I'll make a cheesecake here and there, and sometimes I get a baking bug up my butt, but it's not something I really enjoy like cooking.  I Googled for different ideas - cookies, muffins, cakes, breads.  In the end, I didn't really like any of the recipes I found so I simply decided I was going to make peanut butter banana bread and come up with my own recipe by combining elements of recipes I found on line.  I was really happy with the results!  When we ate the bread by itself, the peanut butter flavour was really strong, but didn't over-power the banana, it was a nice balance.  When we made french toast with it, or toasted it with some butter (which was like waffles!), the peanut butter got a little weaker, but it was still freakin' delicious!

I still want to play with this recipe... being that I'm calling it "Elvis Bread", I so want to make it again and add a bunch of crumbled bacon to it!  I think it would be killer.  And I might add a little more butter, too.  Though the bread wasn't dry, I don't think it was as moist as I'd like it.  But until I make it again, this is the recipe I made the other night.

I'm torn about what kind of music to post.  It's Elvis Bread, so you'd think I'd have been listening to Elvis, but I wasn't (even though I love The King!)  I was actually listening to some soul music when I baked it (so you know it's was made with some love): Solomon Burke, Maurice Williams, Sam & Dave, Ike & Tina.  However, this is a punk rock cooking blog, and because the bread was made with bananas, the first song that popped into my head was The Dead Milkmen's "Smokin' Banana Peels" on the album Beelzebubba.  I remember discovering this album in 7th grade with the only other weirdo in school, my good friend, Nate.  Sneaking into the cafeteria with out little boombox, playing Punk Rock Girl over and over.  And so, rather than posting "Smokin' Banana Peels", I'm going with "Punk Rock Girl".  -jen


ELVIS BREAD
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large)
  • 1 cup peanut butter, melted (just throw in microwave for 30-60 seconds)
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding more.  Add mashed banana and peanut butter.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Incorporate dry ingredients into large ingredients, a little at a time.  Batter will be very thick. 

Spray a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Pour in batter and smooth until even.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a knife or toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.






No comments:

Post a Comment