Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Fritters

I quit my job yesterday.  Still woke up at 7:30am this morning and didn't really know what to do with myself.  We had apples.  So I got out the deep fryer, emptied the old oil, cleaned it out, filled it with some fresh peanut oil, and in about 10 minutes, whipped up some apple fritters!  Best way to start off the first day into the unknown!  And I had no idea how easy they were!

Justin put on some Murder City Devils... and it just seemed..... right.  So here they are, singing "Dancin' Shoes".  I couldn't find a good live version, but the song is still awesome.  I love The Murder City Devils. -jen

P.S.  If anyone has work for me, let me know!


CINNAMON APPLE FRITTERS
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur (or vanilla extract)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1 medium apple, chopped with skin on
  • 1/2 cup sugar
Preheat 3" oil in skillet or a deep fryer to 325 degrees F.

In a large bowl, beat cooled butter, milk, amaretto liqueur, and egg.  In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, salt, flour, and cinnamon.  Add to wet mix until blended.  Fold in lemon zest and apples.

Carefully drop large spoonfuls of batter into hot oil.  Fry for about 4 minutes (until deep golden brown), turning to cook evenly.  Toss in sugar as soon as they come out of the fryer. 

Makes about 6 apple fritters.

Note: These were delicious as is.  But we both thought they might be a little better if the dough itself was slightly sweetened.  So next time I make them, I'm going to try maybe 1/4 cup of brown sugar mixed with the butter before adding the milk, egg, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment