Saturday, December 29, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

I like my creamy soups real thick... like a gravy!  Justin, however, prefers his a bit thinner, and that's how we usually make them.  This time around, I decided I was in the mood for a thick-ass soup.  Really, this could simply be used as a chicken pot pie filling if you wanted, because that's pretty much what it is.  Ohhhh... but it was so good!  I think I need to heat up some leftovers while I type this up.

You'll note that I used frozen peas & carrots in the recipe, when everything else is fresh.  I purposefully did this simply because the frozen peas and carrots ALWAYS make me think about pot pies... that 1950s retro thing, I dunno.  I also wanted to be really productive and bake some pie crust to sprinkle on top, but I got lazy (and intoxicated) and went with crumbled crackers instead.   And lastly, it seemed like a pain to write this in the recipe, but it calls for 1 cup + 2 tbsp butter.  Well, I actually used the chicken fat from baking chicken for those last 2 tablespoons instead of butter, to help lend a little extra chicken awesomeness to it.

NOFX's "Mattersville" came to mind as I was thinking of how homey this soup was.  I haven't thought about this song in a little while, it makes me laugh.   -jen



CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
Time:  45 minutes
Difficulty:  Medium
Yields:  About 12 cups
Bonus pic!  Deformed bell pepper with alien pods bursting
open inside of it!
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large orange bell pepper, minced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, minced (about 2 cups)
  • 3 stalks celery, finely diced (about 1 cup)
  • 8 oz package of mushrooms, diced
  • 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 cup frozen peas & carrots mixed
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
  • 1 teaspoon savory (it's an herb, for those of you not familiar - it's optional)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 4 cups chicken broth (homemade preferable for super chicken flavour!)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
  • Add salt to taste (some broths are saltier than others)
In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat.  Add bell pepper, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, peas & carrots.  Cook until tender (about 10 minutes with that many veggies).  Add thyme, sage, savory, paprika, white pepper, cayenne pepper and lemon juice.  Stir in flour, coating all the veggies, and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.  (It will be paste-like.)  Add the milk and broth all at once and whisk until the roux (flour/butter paste) is fully broken down and there are no flour lumps.  Continue stirring until the soup just begins to boil, then turn heat to low and add chicken.  Taste soup at this point and add more salt if necessary.  Remove from heat and serve with crumbled crackers on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment