Saturday, November 9, 2013

Chai Oatmeal Cookies

My friend Jonathan was talking about how he'd been sprinkling some cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla into his coffee grounds.  It made me want to make up a chai spice for my own coffee.  When I made it, it smelled so amazing, I knew I wanted to make cookies with it (and if you haven't noticed, I'm not big into baking.)  Leaning towards a chai-spiced sugar cookie initially, I changed my mind when I saw my canister of oats.  These cookies came out so chewy and awesome.  Though there are 2 teaspoons of chai spice in it, the finished product is not overwhelmed by the spice.  In fact, if you really wanted a spiced cookie, I'd go with 3 teaspoons instead of the 2 in the recipe!

I have no specific reason for choosing this video except that I love the Street Dogs.  And this is their video for "Punk Rock & Roll".  -jen


CHAI OATMEAL COOKIES
Prep Time:  10 minutes plus 30 minutes to refrigerate
Difficulty:  Easy
Makes:  about 18 cookies

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
  • 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons Chai Masala (see recipe below)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, egg and almond extract with an electric or stand mixer.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, Chai Masala, and salt.  Add dry mix into wet mix until combined.  Fold in oats, raisins and pecans.

Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Scoop dough into rough balls about 1-1/2" diameter.  Lay 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 11-13 minutes.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

CHAI MASALA
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1/3 cup (15 teaspoons)

  • 4 teaspoons ground cardamom
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground all spice
Whisk all ingredients together.  Store in air-tight container.  I'm still discovering the uses for it, but it smells amazing!  I've put it in my coffee grounds pre-brewing.  The oatmeal cookies were great!  I've sprinkled some in a milkshake.  We have a ton of apples and I'm thinking about using it to make a spicy chai apple crumble.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey! Somebody actually reads our recipes! I guess when posting a recipe for oatmeal cookies, one should be sure to include the quantity of oats. Thanks for catching that major fail, Sandi! Hahah! 1 and 1/2 cups... the recipe has been updated! :)

      Delete