Here were this year's pumpkins - mine is evil, Justin's is the cyclops.
And so, even though it's past Halloween, we're going to lay down some Misfits' "Halloween". -jen
APPLE AND OATS STUFFED PUMPKIN
- 1 small sugar pie pumpkin (2-3 pounds)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons amaretto liqueur (or whiskey, or brandy, or rum - it's all good)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed small
Cut the top off of your pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds and string insides, discarding. Mix all of the remaining ingredients except the butter. Pack firmly into the pumpkin until about half way. Sprinkle with half of the cubed butter. Pack the remaining filling into the pumpkin and top with the remaining butter.
Place the lid back on top of the pumpkin. Place on a baking sheet or in a pie pan and bake for 1.5 - 2 hours, until pumpkin insides are tender.
Slice the pumpkin into quarters and serve topped with the stuffing. Depending on the size of your pumpkin, you may have leftover filling that wouldn't fit inside. I suggest saving it and mixing it in with some oatmeal for breakfast the next morning!