Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Greek Summer Salad

I know it's the middle of winter, but sometimes, you need some summer food.  Something light, refreshing and easy.  So I came up with this the other day and it's been great.  We've eaten it straight up, we've eaten it on top of a lettuce salad, we've eaten it with an olive, salami and cheese platter.  And you can't beat something that tastes great and is still healthy.  Good New Year resolution food, if you're into that kinda thing.  I hadn't initially planned on adding beans... then I saw them sitting on the shelf and thought, "Yeah!"  I liked how it turned out a lot! 

I was listening to some Boston punk, so I decided to post a little Darkbuster, playing "Whiskey Will".  I should have saved this song for a recipe with whiskey in it but... I don't think I'll be at a loss for punk songs about whiskey. ;)  -jen



GREEK SUMMER SALAD
Time:  20 minutes, no cooking
Difficulty:  Can you use a knife?  If yes, then easy.
Yields: 4-5 cups
  • 2 cucumbers, seeded and chopped
  • 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green olives, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 can (15oz) white beans, rinsed
  • 3/4 cup feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients and toss!  Can't get much easier than that!



No comments:

Post a Comment