Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Stuffed Breakfast Chiles

Awww yeah!  I just made these bad boys a few minutes ago!  They're like reverse chile rellenos - the eggs are on the inside instead of the outside.  My fingers are still burning from the pasillas (which were spicier than expected, maybe I didn't de-vain them well enough!) - I never wear gloves when I handle chiles and then I regret it.  Wear gloves!!!  But really, these are only a little spicy, not really "hot".

I was thinking these stuffed chiles are pretty versatile.  I used green onion and bacon.  You could use jalapeños, cilantro (wish I'd had some!), sausage, chorizo, salsa.  Someone gave a shout for more vegetarian recipes - well here's one you can make vegetarian any way you want.  I love recipes like this where you can change it over and over and over again and just keep coming up with different combinations.  And... low-carb, if you're watching that kind of thing.

What goes with breakfast?  Well, naturally, I went straight to crack and dope... so Choking Victim was my only option, singing "500 Channels".  Get your skank on.  -jen


Homemade taco seasoning and Tabasco
STUFFED BREAKFAST CHILES
Prep Time:  30 minutes
Bake Time:  10-12 minutes
Difficulty:  Medium
Yields:  4 stuffed chiles
  • 4 large pasilla chiles
  • 1/4 pound of bacon
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 6 eggs
  • salt and pepper*
  • dash of milk (like 1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
  • few dashes of green Tabasco sauce
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • toothpicks
Wash and dry chiles.  Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I like to line the pan with foil for easy clean-up).  Place chiles on baking sheet and broil on one side for 4-5 minutes until charred, then flip and broil on the other side 4-5 minutes until charred. 

Immediately place charred chiles in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or place in a large plastic zip bag and seal.  Let rest for 10-15 minutes so that the chiles sweat.  Then remove and peel off the charred skins.  Cut stem ends off chiles and slice down one side to open them up so that they lay flat.  Remove all seeds and ribs from inside of chile.  Re-spray the same baking sheet with more non-stick spray and lay chiles flayed open on baking sheet.  

While chiles are roasting, you can dice up your bacon and cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and crumbled, 10-15 minutes.  Line a plate with paper towels and place the bacon onto the paper towel to absorb the grease.  In the same skillet, saute the diced green onion for 1-2 minutes, just until tender.  Mix in with the crumbled bacon on the paper towel plate.

When chiles are done roasting, turn oven down to 350 degrees F.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper, Tabasco, and dash of milk.  (We always have some homemade "taco seasoning", and I used some of that to season my eggs, too!)  Using the same skillet again (I left a little bit of the bacon grease in it, or you can drain the grease out and use non-stick spray) over medium heat, scramble the eggs.  After 2-3 minutes of cooking, add the crumbled bacon and onion into the eggs and cook until just barely wet still.  Turn off heat.

On the open-faced chiles, add a layer of shredded cheese, then 1/4 of the egg mixture, then another layer of cheddar cheese.  Carefully fold the chile together and use a toothpick to secure it, leaving it seam-side up.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted.  Remove toothpicks and serve immediately.







2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! I want some NOW, but I don't have the chilies. I guess the husband will be making trip to the grocery store tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, if you guys make them, let me know what you think! We just had seconds for dinner with some lettuce tacos. So tasty! :D

      Delete