Sunday, June 23, 2013

Apricot Poppy Seed Bread

About four days ago, I stopped at a local fruit stand that's set up in Fernbridge, California.  The apricots looked stunning, so I got a basket of them.  However, even eating two and three at a time, the two of us didn't get through them fast enough and they were getting pretty ripe.  So I made a bread out of their puree today.  It came out pretty great!  I was stoked!  Firm, but moist.  (Heheh...no time for that now!)  It smelled a lot like pumpkin bread when it baked.  I actually doubled the poppy seeds that I listed in the recipe and we both liked twice as many... but I sort of figured for the general public, halving them would be better.  Tasty bread!  It'd be yummy with a whipped apricot and cinnamon cream cheese!  Didn't have any cream cheese though.

Man, this is some newer Anti-Flag and I'm not real familiar with their later stuff.  I listened to a lot of their earlier music.  But this song... it just keeps getting stuck in my head.  It's catchy... despite or because of the hi-hat?  I can't decide.  Anti-Flag's "If You Wanna Steal".  -jen


APRICOT POPPY SEED BREAD
Prep Time:  15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Difficulty:  Easy
Yields:  1 loaf
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pounds fresh apricots, peeled, pitted and pureed until smooth
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 cup poppy seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. 

In a large mixing bowl, combine the apricot puree, eggs, butter, vanilla, almond and mix well.  Add the dry mixture and mix just until combined.  Fold in poppy seeds, pecans and apricot.

Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.  Test by sticking a knife or tooth pick in the middle to make sure it comes out clean.  Cool on a baking rack for 10 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Do you remember about how many cups of puree the apricots made? I have puree but have no idea how many apricots went into it and want to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Ahhh... such a good question and I'm afraid I don't remember. But definitely something I will consider in the future - to do different measurements! Do you have any way to weigh your puree? Because minus skin and pits, I imagine you'd want just a little less than 2 pounds worth. If I'd just done the recipe, I probably could have guesstimated, but my memory is awful and it's been too long. :( So sorry about that! -jen

    ReplyDelete