Monday, March 9, 2015

Cauliflower "Couscous" Salad

This recipe is vegan/vegetarian, gluten-free, and low-carb!  Oh yeah, and it tastes amazing.  We try to eat low-carb most of the time and jumping on the cauliflower bandwagon the other day, I was making some pizza crust out of cauliflower, cheese and eggs.  I was supposed to "rice" the cauliflower in the food processor, but I did it a little too long and the pieces came out more like couscous than rice.  Then I mixed in some minced garlic and dried oregano as  part of the crust recipe, and decided to give it a taste.  Totally gave me the idea to do a couscous salad out of it.

I can't actually tell you how incredibly stoked I am at how good this came out.  I really enjoy Mediterranean-style cold salads.  I used to do them with rice, but I don't eat rice anymore.  So we started doing them with barley and couscous... but they're still pretty high-carb.  This solved the problem and I foresee us having this salad in the fridge on a frequent basis for lunches during the work week and quick dinners.

I decided to go with Lagwagon's "I Must Be Hateful".  I was feeling pretty hateful tonight towards a medical issue I'm having.  Seemed apropos.  -jen



CAULIFLOWER "COUSCOUS" SALAD
Prep Time:  10 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Makes:  About 6 cups
Requires:  Food Processor
  • 1 large head of cauliflower, diced large
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 2/3 cup English cucumber, seeded and diced small
  • 2/3 cup bell pepper, diced small
  • 1/2 cup green onions, diced small
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, diced small
  • 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
  • 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
  • 1/4 cup giardiniera, chopped (optional)
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned or chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • juice of 1 whole lemon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Place large-diced cauliflower in food processor and process until it looks like cooked couscous.  Place in a large, microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap (I recommend using glass so the plastic wrap sticks).  Microwave on high for 10 minutes.  Fluff with fork.

Add all remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.  At this point, you can serve it while it's still warm, or refrigerate and serve chilled.

Per 1 Cup Serving:  Calories-130, Fat-9g, Carbs-11.5, Fiber-4, Protein-3g


No comments:

Post a Comment