Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I guess we've been in a soup mood lately.  Cream of Mushroom is one of my favourites and I'd been wanting to make a batch for a while.  This batch I decided to do thinner than usual because I wasn't feeling like a gravy-esque soup, just something brothy and a little creamy.

I don't know why this song got stuck in my head when I was thinking of what to play.  And so... with no connection whatsoever to Cream of Mushroom soup, here's Camper Van Beethoven with "Take the Skinheads Bowling".  I could only find one link to the original video!  They didn't even have it on Youtube, very odd!  -jen


CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 6 ounces crimini mushrooms, chopped
  • 6 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 shallot, finely diced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons sherry
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 cup heavy cream
In large sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.  Saute crimini and button mushrooms, shallot, bell pepper and garlic until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Stir in flour and cook another 3 minutes.  Add chicken broth and whisk until flour is dissolved.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Soup should thicken.  Then add sherry, Worcestershire, thyme, sage, and cream.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer for another 5 minutes and serve. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment