To accompany the soup I'm throwing in some SNFU as they take me back to a time when I ate soup and sandwiches far more often than I seem to of late. Some classic DIY punk with some DIY homemade soup. Plus, the song Painful Reminder is off of their album "Something Green and Leafy This Way Comes". Green, leafy...basil? Get it?- justin
Tomato Basil Soup
Time: 1 1/2 hrs
- 3 lbs ripe plumb tomatoes cut in half (also called Roma tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flake (omit this if you don't like heat)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (substitute red wine vinegar if you don't have balsamic)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
In an 8qt stock pot over medium low heat, saute the onions and garlic in the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil, the butter, the red pepper flakes, and the vinegar for about 10 minutes. Add the brown sugar, canned tomatoes (liquid and all), the basil, thyme and chicken stock. Add the oven roasted tomatoes, including any liquid that may have accumulated on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
Using a blender (immersion or standing will work), blend until the desire consistency is reached. Add the heavy cream and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
This recipe can also be made without the cream if you want a "lighter" soup or is you wish to serve it chilled like a gazpacho.