Monday, March 19, 2012

Red Cabbage & Broccoli Coleslaw

I really love red cabbage and its EXTREME CRISP!  (I just wanted to hop on the EXTREME bandwagon.)  So the night after Justin made Ribolita for dinner, I found we had all the fixings for a vegetable coleslaw using the leftover red cabbage!  I whipped out the box grater and went to town!  The slaw came out real tasty - we ate it with some pulled pork, good call there.  Simple, basic recipe - super easy.


When I think of coleslaw, I think of the south.  And so I was trying to think of some southern punk... and instead, my mind popped up with this song.  Not punk, obviously, but I got there by way of punk!  I woke up to Dylan's version on the radio this morning, thought about how I liked Ness' version better, and so somehow Social D wires crossed with southern food and if I ramble any more about how I get from one thought to another, I'm going to sound ridiculous.  Mike Ness - Don't Think Twice.  -jen


RED CABBAGE & BROCCOLI COLESLAW
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 small shallot, diced fine
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional because of the celery salt, add to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 medium red cabbage, shredded
  • 1 medium crown broccoli, shredded
  • 4 medium carrots, shredded
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, Dijon, red wine vinegar, shallot, sugar, Old Bay, celery salt, and black pepper.  Whisk until combined.  Add cabbage, broccoli and carrot and toss until coated.

Tip: Make this the day before you want to eat it because the flavours meld deliciously once it refrigerates over night!

No comments:

Post a Comment